Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Florida - Officially Sailing Certified



We had another day of sailing lessons taking the boat out a few miles. We practiced anchoring and took a swim. I also practiced the helm, but after heading toward an anchored boat and doing a tack I said enough is enough and I gladly gave the helm to someone else. I did everything I was told and it worked, but it was nerve racking. (Especially after running the little sunfish into the dock the day before.) This evening we received our sailing certificates from Captain Diana (center) and the Key Lime Sailing Club. We later ventured to a restaurant on the Islamorada Key where there is a tiny lagoon in the center where fish are free to come and go. Of course they like to come and get the scraps. We saw tarpons, zebra fish, nurse sharks, groupers, and other colorful fish just by looking down in the water. Besides the wonderful garlic fish and smoked fish dip, we did the traditional dessert for Key West, wonderful Homemade Key Lime Pie. We walked along the shore at Anne's Beach and took pictures by a huge Mangrove tree.
Now the sun has set and while enjoying a walk on the dock one more time before retiring, we saw a blue glow in the water. It looked like squiggles of blue glow and then it went away. Soon there were several patches of blue glow in the water. I took a net and scooped some up. It looked like sea weed with specks of blue glow. I googled it, but still do not have a name for it. A mystery!

BTW, I fell asleep in the hammock again last night. I hope to get one to use in San Augustine! ...along with these flaming tiki lights.

No comments:

Post a Comment