Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Florida - Key West Snorkeling and Iguanas

Today we experienced Key West (south about 2 hours from where we are staying in Key Largo). The atmosphere was similar to a cruise ship port with shore excursions. That is because it is a cruise ship port; we saw the Carnival’s massive ship Fascination depart the island while there. There was snorkeling, scuba diving, para-sailing, beaches, plenty of food and shopping. Employees seemed to love their job and made you feel welcome. The weather was sunny and hot, more importantly to me… the water was clear and blue-green. We decided on a snorkeling excursion on a large catamaran 45 minutes from shore. I was amazed at how many different species of fish and coral were within hands reach. However, the rules are do not touch anything, do not take anything, and do not leave anything behind. This reef is alive and they want to keep it that way. We accidently snorkeled into a bed of seaweed and it was getting tangled in my hair. I slapped it away and then lots of yellow-tailed snappers started swimming around me. They were eating something off the seaweed I had disturbed. We saw schools of purple fish, large tarpons, and barracuda. There were little canyons of coral that we followed within close proximity of the boat. There were sponges, fan coral, and other odd-shaped and colorful stuff. We followed a school of small purple fish that seemed to be oblivious to us as did all the other fish. After we were back on the catamaran, Jeff and I threw some bits of dog biscuit off the side and the yellow-tailed snappers came close to the surface of the water and ate it up. This is what I wanted to come to Florida for.

Jeff came for the sailing, which besides the lessons we have already done, we plan to take the Cindy out tomorrow weather permitting all by ourselves. I am grateful for the motor on the back. That is all I have to say about that for now.

Jeff loves that I am writing this blog and encouraged me to publish it. He also doesn’t mind me saying that because he a member of the itty bitty bladder brigade, we stopped on the south side of Niles Bridge and discovered the iguanas. I could not get any pictures because they are so fast. There were several in the grass near the road, but if you walk towards them, they scurry off on their hind legs and just disappear into the mangrove trees. That was the cutest sight.

Key West is the last key off the Florida coast and now we have seen every key. I observed that there seems to be more boats and variety of boats than cars around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment