Friday, July 3, 2009

Florida Here We Come

We decided about 2 weeks ago to take a well-deserved empty nester 10-day vacation. Jeff likes sailing, I like snorkeling and the sun. We both want to explore the Florida keys. So with some concern for leaving behind our grown son (who is working) and our pets, we broke away for a once in a lifetime trip.

I try to make my blogs positive and upbeat and so I will not mention the I10 traffic, except to say "we left on Thursday, it can't be just July 4th traffic!" I would also like to say it is a long drive and there is a time change where we lost an hour, but no big deal.

We had a wonderful and overdue visit to my sister-in-law's in Louisiana. They had recently celebrated "Christmas in July" with their young grown sons and their friends. They decorate the house and dress like it is Christmas. I wonder if they turn the AC down low. One year the boys and their friends made homemade gingerbread houses. I think this will catch on and be like Halloween for all the kids and maybe even become commercialized. I could tell we should stay more connected and hope to in the future. Jeff and I have wonderful families. She fed us farm fresh eggs, bacon, and coffee and we left her 2 bags of red ripe tomatoes from the garden.

The rest of the drive was uneventful. We stopped at the Florida Tourist Bureau for information. There were more brochures for Florida than I have ever seen in my life. Very busy place, too. A replica of an Air Force Blue Angel jet was supported in the air for all to see.

Now, we are in our swim suits and sunscreen and headed for what promises to be one of the top ten beaches in the world according to the residents of Ocala and the Discovery Channel. I'll let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment