Friday, July 10, 2009

Florida - Mystery Solved

Remember the blue glowing lights I told you about. I figured out what it was! While shining a flashlight into the water at night near the dock, I was admiring a real live starfish. While examining the starfish, something started squiggling and glowing at the surface. It was tiny translucent fish circling around each other. It looked like they were feeding on something. I have seen these tiny fish in schools under the dock while snorkeling during the day. They are about as long as my fingernail and translucent unless the sunlight hits them, then they are blue, green, or yellow. They travel in schools of 100 or more, they are so abundant. They must have been feeding on something in the seaweed the night I first encountered them. After a little research I believe they are called "Lanternfish" and are an important part of the food chain for marine life.

No comments:

Post a Comment