Saturday, March 7, 2009

In the beginning...


So what brought me to San Augustine? It was a combination of my husband's job transfer and the damage from Hurricane Ike. I worked as a computer technician in Orange and lived in Orangefield. My husband was transferred soon after the last kid left to go to college and just before Hurricane Ike. I planned to stay and sell our house and work a little longer. Hurricane Ike flooded our home, and I did not have a place to live. I was stayng with friends and trying to drag out the inevitable. Once I decided to quit my job and move to San Augustine, that is where this adventure and time in my life began.

We lived temporarily in a one bedroom leaning duplex with space heaters. Even though we had lost a lot of things in the flood, we still had a lot to keep up with such as linens, dishes, pictures, etc. We were given matresses and a bed. We salvaged a fouton and recliner from our offices at work. We also managed to save our table, hutch, and chairs from the flooded house. It was drafty, cold, and crowded. We had a wonderful Landlord who took us in to this duplex, but we did not realize how spoiled we were to central air and heat and larger space.

Some of my first adventurers included walking up Columbia toward the San Augustine Library and listening to the church bells at noon. It was a beautiful Fall day. I walked there several times and took pictures of the colorful leaves and trees and walkways. I ventured further to the hospital. Yes, San Augustine has a hospital complete with helipad.

On another hike I walked around the square and viewed the old Courthouse that is about to be renovated. On the square there are antique places, drug stores, a workout gym, insurance agencies, old theater, car dealerships, banks, auto parts store, and hardware store.

San Augustine was peaceful and low key. . . a healing place.

No comments:

Post a Comment