Monday, November 1, 2010

When the lights go out ...


Did I mention that many people in this area have generators to keep their lights on when the power fails? We do not, of course. Tonight a powerful storm came through blowing limbs and leaves and maybe some hail. I was visiting a friend in our subdivision at the time. My husband was out of town on business and I was alone. Our lights flickered off and did not come back on. I remembered a small flashlight in my purse which we used to navigate out of our neighbor’s house and back to the car. We drove in the rain to our own homes. I lit three decorative soy candles that I saved for such an occasion; then called City Hall to let them know that our neighbor and I were without power. I called and checked on our neighbor to make sure she found flashlights or candles and made sure she was ok.

Now what? I called my husband (as if he could do anything.) Now what? I am alone… and for how long. Now is the time when all those scary movies you watch could take control. Thank goodness, I do not watch scary movies. Although, I did catch my reflection in a glass framed picture as I was coming down the hall holding a candle and just about jumped out of my skin! Hssss! Oops! I stepped on the cat! Sorry!

I like to be productive no matter what the circumstance and if I just wait for the lights, I will start imagining things. So I decided to take pictures… of the candles… of the flames specifically. I practiced with three different lenses, and at different settings, with a support, covering the flash with my hand, no flash, and with the flash. The flame was a glow on most shots. It was pretty, but my goal was to get that flicker. I need to research that. However, at this point and time I do not have Internet. So I think to myself that I do have battery power on this laptop, so I could write about this dark, dark experience.



I hear voices outside, dogs barking, and generators running in different areas of the subdivision (but not at my house). There is thunder and lightning, but the wind and rain has slowed. The flame flickers so silently beside me and smells of Warm Cinnamon Pumpkin...


I have decided that the best way to get the flame on a candle is with my long lens zoomed all the way up close and using the flash. What do you think?

Yet there is something to be said for the glow of a candle flame.

The lights are still out. I will call my neighbor again and check on her. Thanks for listening. I am sure I will be ok. I will play spider solitaire until my battery runs down. Goodnight all.

No comments:

Post a Comment