Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The 20th Annual Sassafras Festival


Oh, the excitement of Fall and Fall Festivals! Especially the 20th Annual Sassafras Festival in San Augustine taking place right on the town’s historic city square. There was live music, delicious food, vendors that sell their crafts and homemade goodies, wheel chair races, antique car show, pet parade, and the always exciting Bonnie and Clyde bank robbery reenactment. The Sassafras Festival is definitely unique in this area and I have enjoyed attending and taking lots of pictures.

I was invited by one of the bank robbers the day before to get close in for pictures. (I guess that would make me an accessory to a federal crime if this had been the real deal.) He explained the plans and gave me some ideas of where to stand. The actors really outdid their selves this year with a little longer version and some extras. Lots of gun toting, shooting, gun smoke, and hostages--too many to fit in the getaway car.)

This year I entered the photography contest again and won several ribbons for my work. It is always nice to be recognized. The court house reconstruction was complete just in time, and is a beautiful landmark of green and stone making the city more proud and alive than ever. At the festival, I always see friends and enjoy meeting new people and discovering something new about this city that I did not know before. My special thanks to Devon Energy for your sponsorship, the San Augustine Chamber of Commerce for organizing this year after year, and for all the volunteers and participants that made such a wonderful day for our community and visitors.


No comments:

Post a Comment