Friday, January 1, 2010

A Joyful Life

I went shopping with someone special, but I might embarrass him if I say who it was. However, this is something I feel strongly about. OK, OK, it was my son, Caleb. We traveled to Orange because of doctor appointments. Anyone that knows me, knows that I like to cross off things on a list and this was the first item of the day to cross off and say "that's done". Then, we ate at the restaurant I chose "Crazy Joses" and enjoyed conversation and watching to see if anyone was in the restaurant we knew, which there was. This was our old stomping grounds for 10 years, so we know people. :) Afterwards, we traveled to the familiar drug store to pick up a few items for his upcoming semester-long trip. Then we traveled to Beaumont with the goal in mind to look at backpacks and walking shoes, but first to the used bookstore. I thought I knew where that bookstore was.... oh yes after a trip around the block and our trustworthy iPhone GPS we found it and it was still open this New Year's Eve at 2:00 pm. We were just a little behind schedule, but both of us seemed to be relaxed and enjoying the day. I thought we would try a back way to the mall and traveled through a beautiful neighborhood of older homes and winding streets. We were still going in the right direction. I thought about the man sitting next to me while I drove. He was not anxious about our detour... in fact, he had not shown any anxiousness or irritation at all. When we talked about my observance, we were in agreement that this side trip was an adventure and learning experience that enriched our life. "Besides", in his words, "You are paying," and "I am driving" I added. We both laughed. It is all in how you choose to look at life that can make it a joy! We had a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment