Monday, November 23, 2009

I'm Country with Tracy and Earl



Tonight I feel filthy country after attending the Tracy Byrd concert at the Shelby County Rodeo Arena. You have to understand I am not strickly a country listener, so I haven't heard so much country, back to back, live music... well never. Local talent from Shelby County including Kelli Wilburn and Megan Welburn warmed our hearts and took up time waiting for "the big guys" as Mrs. Wilburn put it. Kelli had us sing along with "Help Me Make It Through the Night". Then Zona Jones from Beaumont, TX showed his talent and ease on stage gearing up the crowd for Tracy and Earl. Earl Thomas Conley is a legend with 18 No. 1 songs in a row on the charts. "What she sees is only what she wants to, What she has, she thinks is enough. What she does is just look at the good things. And what she is, is a woman in love." The band members for ETC entertained us on their own with their singing and playing. Their live music becomes a part of you. I will probably feel that drum and hear that strum for days. And Tracy has not even made it on stage yet!! Did I mention that it is freaking cold out here?

"Welcome" is all he said and got right down to "we're from the country and I like it that way", "lifestyles of the not so rich and famous", "Holden Heaven in my arms tonight". Some couples could not help but dance the two-step on the sidelines and lots of photographers and admirers, young and old, lined the stage. "If I met God tonight, I'd slap him a high five.... Who am I to say what's wrong and what's best."

Someone once jokingly made the comment that they tried listening to country music once and lost IQ points. I can see their point what with all the drinking and bar songs out there, but country music is an art not for people that are intelligent about science and math, but it is all about expressions from the heart and the heart is what makes beautiful heartwarming fun music. East Texas is country. Thank you Tracy Byrd for such a wonderful evening. Thank you Los Margaritas in Center, TX for having this concert. BTW, we figured out how to stay warm. Get up and move with the rest of 'em!

No comments:

Post a Comment