Friday, May 8, 2009

Learning to Garden


I hate to see anything die, but I have become hard-hearted and figure that if a plant does not have any heartiness, I cannot help that. However, I do enjoy being successful at growing a beautiful hearty plant and enjoying the beauty and wonder of God's creation. Given the fact that I was unemployed and that Jeff's dad was too weak to do a vegetable garden this year, I volunteered my services. I thought I could do all the manual labor and he could tell me how to be a successful vegetable gardener. We would share the bounty. This is what I learned so far.

  1. Jeff's dad had a bigger garden in mind than I did.

  2. Always go by the Farmer's Almanac. It is always the best source for planting time.

  3. When it rains too much your shoes will get stuck by the suction of the mud while planting "by the Farmer's Almanac". Put wooden planks between the rows to step on.

  4. Use an old toothbrush to clean out from under your sculptured nails when you are done.

  5. Working in the garden takes precedence over reading, paying bills, watching TV, going to the gym or hairdresser, sleep and even shopping!

  6. Hoeing, building rows, planting, and weeding is hard and messy work, and makes you sore all over.

  7. Each type of seed has a personality of its own and likes specific soil composition and coverage, it's own space, it's own timing, and it's own growth patterns.

  8. It will take more than one garden for me to remember what to do, ..... and I'm not sure that is going to happen.

  9. The immense knowledge, experience, and memories of a lifetime will fade away if we do not learn from our parents and elders and pass them on.
In all seriousness, I am enjoying learning to garden and spending time with Jeff's parents. I am looking forward to harvest time, canning, and eating fresh vegetables. I know they are tastier than store bought and are most excellent for your health.

1 comment:

  1. I found your blog. This is one of my things to do in the future and that future just seems to be extended out there every year. No kidding, I really want to feel the satisfaction of growing something. Sounds like it could be a substitute for exercise. Miss you.

    ReplyDelete