Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Enchanting Bugs


When I was little I remember being able to catch lightning bugs in a jar and watch them glow off and on for hours. For the last 10 years (living in Orangefield), I have not seen any and wondered where they had gone. For weeks now, when I come home here in San Augustine after dark I see the random twinkle of these little guys, also called fireflies. I did a little research if you care to know. The light is the result of a chemical reaction and 100% is light and no heat compared to a light bulb that only emits 10% light and 90% heat. Also, they give off the light in a pattern that attracts a mate, so right now there is a lot of uh um...excitement going on in our yards. Also, they can use their light to be somewhat cannibalistic with other species. All I really think about though is how enchanting their little twinkles are.

No comments:

Post a Comment