Thursday, April 30, 2020

East Texas to Iowa

Winter in Sioux City, IA
Sailing at Lewis & Clark Lake, Yankton, SD

Snow on the trees along the Missouri River

Ames, IA
Exploring the frozen lake in Ames IA

Amidst the Covid-19 pandemic we moved to Iowa. I am alone mostly. I get out to get supplies and look at buying a home. Iowa is a different culture and different living, at least for me.  It does not feel familiar, normal, or real. This time in my life is a blank with no going back and an uncertain future. I have visited many times and taken a few pictures of the river front and seasons and surrounding areas.  If I could change anything about Sioux City, it would be to end the construction and smooth out the roads.  It is irritating to drive down the road and feel and hear the klop klop klop klop of the tires and maneuver around the city and the orange cones. I would bring an HEB up here, sell Blue Bell in the stores, and be able to purchase Wings to Go. I would bring my family/friends and church family up here.  I would make winter shorter and summer longer. For now, I will try to buy a home with a heated garage, pretty landscaping, and outside deck and sitting area.  I'll try to trust God even more and connect with new friends and support.  I'll explore the parks around here and bicycle ride around the trails and neighborhood and daydream of a beach vacation and visiting my kids when this virus subsides. At least there is the familiar Walmart and Sam's to shop at and using zoom to connect to family.  My hope is that one day East Texas welcomes me back home.  In the meantime, I will make some memories here.  
“He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. 
Many will see and fear the Lord and put their trust in him” (Psalm 40:3).

No comments:

Post a Comment