Saturday, June 20, 2015

Watching the Foxes



My backyard has become a playground for red foxes.  They live down in the ravine and make their appearance in the mornings and at dusk.  This is the second litter of baby foxes, called kits, I have watched grow up.  I sit on my back porch with a cup of coffee.  I do not move or make a sound so that I can watch the cute kits play and romp gracefully for a little while.  An adult fox, called a dog or vixen depending on whether it is male or female, watches all around for danger and lets the kits play.  Foxes have excellent hearing and can identify and extract critters moving underground.  They adapt well to city or country life because they are good scavengers eating critters, fruit, frogs, fish, earthworms, and food from trash bins.  They use their tail, called a brush as a warm cover in cold weather and for balance.  Originally, I noticed the foxes because one of the adults was standing on the edge of the property making a horrible crying noise in the middle of the night, which I believe had to do with mating.  They can produce 28 different sounds.  I took these pictures one sunny morning with a long lens.


No comments:

Post a Comment